Thursday, January 31, 2008

Crazy good listening skills make a good leader?

Proverbs 5:11-14

11and at the end of your life you(O) groan, when your flesh and body are consumed,
12and you say,(P) "How I hated discipline, and my heart(Q) despised reproof!
13I did not listen to the voice of my teachers or incline my ear to my instructors.
14(R) I am at the brink of utter ruin in the assembled congregation."

Opening ones eyes, and stepping back from our current point of observations can often times enlighten us to many things we miss... Duh, you might say, but how often do we actually practice this? Do we daily, weekly or even monthly, take the time to look at our surroundings, and imagine how others are perceiving us, rather than how we see ourselves fitting in? I read something today that made me question the above.

“A leader’s communication must e consistent, clear, and courteous. But leaders must also be good listeners… Ultimately, poor listening leads to hostility, miscommunications, and a breakdown of team cohesion. How are your listening skills? Give your self a 360-Degree review. Ask for feedback concerning your ability and willingness to listen from your boss or mentor, your colleagues, and your subordinates. If you don’t get good grades from all of them, then quiet down, listen up and work to become a better communicator.”

-The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork-

How often do we assume we understand what someone means, buy their actions… Because if I acted in such a way it would mean such and such… And there in lies the problem… They are not us, and they don’t necessarily mean what we would when they act in such a way.

I am out of time… Trevor out

2 comments:

Steve, Anne, Asher & Karis said...

This is a good word Trevor. It is also a timely message. Some times you learn things the hard way. When we do learn this way it sure hurts, but LORD willing the lesson will not soon be forgotten.

tft003 said...

A good man once told me, "these show a person what they are made of"

Always good.